How to collect ona judgement?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to collect ona judgement?

I moved out of my apartment complex in omaha nebraska and they stated I would recieve my deposit back. When I took them to court i won because they didn’t show up. and after i waited the necessary time they still refused to pay. I then had a writ of execution placed and the sheriff is advising me they cant force my old apartment complex to pay. If the writ of execution wont work, what are my other options?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Once you receive the issued writ of execution from the court clerk concerning the judgment that you have then you need to prepare a notice of levy with levying instructions to the sheriff's civil division in the county where the judgment debtor resides instructions to the sheriff to levy upon all bank accounts of the judgment debtor. You also have to prepare a memorandum of granishee to be signed the judgment debtor's bank.

What you have written about suggests that you do not have all the necessary paperwork completed for submission for a levy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption