What can I do if I work for a family owned company and am being harassed?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I work for a family owned company and am being harassed?

My boyfriend’s father owns it. Lately his wife has been harassing me and threatening my job. She has posted pictures on Facebook of me with very inappropriate captions. She has also publicly threatened my safety and job. When I brought it up to the owner he told me to ignore it. Then she posted that he was in on the posting. The stuff she is posting includes my name, picture, where I work,and more.

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the hatassment is because of your sex--for instance, the wife thinks you are flirting with, etc. her husband--this maybe illegal sex-based discrimination and you could file a complaint with the EEOC or your state equal or civil rights agency. It would also be illegal if the harassment is due to some other protected characteristic, such as your race, religion, disability, or age over 40. But if she aimply does not like you, it is legal the law does not require on adult to like another or treat that person fairly, even at work or in an employer-employee context.
Posting true information about you is legal, as is posting publically available contact information, like your address. Posting negative opinions is also legal. However, posting untrue negative factual statements about you may be defamation, and you may have grounds for a lawsuit. It is also illegal to post certain confidential information, like your social security number, or bank account or credit card number.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption