I was ordered to pay restitution in 2006 the company is no longer in operation

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was ordered to pay restitution in 2006 the company is no longer in operation

The company voluntarily dissolved 7 years ago. The owner died 5 years ago and his wife is also gone. There is a surviving daughter, a grandson, and grand-daughter-in-law. I am in the middle of an expungment and the state is not objecting to expunging my record, providing I pay $4554 in restitution to the business. I am attempting to ask the court to consider it a

Asked on December 10, 2018 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Even if the business was dissolved, that does not mean that its "accounts receivable" or other right(s) to receive or collect money went away: they may well have been "assigned" or transferred to, some other person (like the owner, in which case those rights would likely then go to his heirs) or business (like someone who bought some or all of the dissolved business, or at least it's right to collect money).
Put the facts as you know them before the court; let the court tell you if it requires you to do more research to confirm that there is no one with a right to the money owed the business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption