Can two different Counties charge you with the same crime by rewording it

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can two different Counties charge you with the same crime by rewording it

Theift by taking
Theift by receiving

Basicly some reported a car stolen, even
though they gave the person the keys to it..
So one County is charging theift by taking
The other is charging theift by receiving
For the same car

Asked on December 13, 2018 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can, because it is more than just "rewording it": these are two separate crimes. Often, a single criminal act falls under the definition of more than one crime (e.g. shooting someone with a gun after threatening them is terroristic threat, aggravated assault, attempted murder, and very possibly (if not a legal gun) a weapons possession charge, too). When the act meets the definition of more than one crime, you may be charged with more than one crime for the same action or event.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption