What are my rights if I think that I as terminated from my job because I am a woman?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I think that I as terminated from my job because I am a woman?

I was let go today from a company I worked at for 16 months. It’s a construction company and I was the only woman in the department. The president had to tell me the bad news and he said I had a great work ethic, everyone loved me and I did wonderful work. It appears the department manager has a issue with me although he’s never said one word to me about anything since I’ve been there. I think it might be because I’m a woman. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on October 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you describe appears to set out a "prima facie," or essentially "on its face," case of gender-based employment discrimtion the only woman in a male-dominated industry, who was apparently a good worker, being let go. While it's not certain this was discrimination--for example, if the department manager had and can prove he had some non-gender-based issue with you, including simply a strong personality conflict, it would be legal to let you go it is legal to terminate an employee disliked, for non-discriminatory reasons, by a manager--it is, based on what you write, reasonably likely to be discrimination--e.g. without a history of conflict between you and the manager or discriplinary write-ups/poor reviews of you, it's unlikely that he did have some legitimate, non-discriminatory issue with  you. It would be worthwhile for you to pursue this further.
You could either speak with the appropriate agency, which is not the labor department it would be either the federal Equal Employment Oppportunity Commission EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency. Or you may wish to speak with an employment law attorney about bringing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption