What to do if I was contracted to replace a sidewalk at a local bank through its property management company but I haven’t been paid?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was contracted to replace a sidewalk at a local bank through its property management company but I haven’t been paid?

The terms were 30 days max for payment. However, it has been well over 30 days and I have contacted them numerous times getting a different story every time and have not yet received payment. What legal action can I take?

Asked on November 21, 2015 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the party which entered into the contract (e.g. which signed the contract), which, based on what you write, may the property management company and not the bank: you would sue them for breach of contract, to get the money owed you. To win, you would have to show the terms of the contract (you can use the contract itself to do this) and that you did the work (which can be done by testimony, photographs, permits for the work, receipts for the materials, etc.): if you can do that, you should get a judgment, or court order that the other party pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption