What to do if I traded in my vehicle over a month ago but the dealer hasn’t paid it off yet?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I traded in my vehicle over a month ago but the dealer hasn’t paid it off yet?

The finance company keeps calling me. When I call the dealer (every day), he says that he will do it the next day. It’s a few days before the late payment hits my credit and the vehicle goes to recovery.

Asked on November 26, 2013 under General Practice, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should know that in many states the dealer must pay it off within a certain period of time. At this time, contact the agency who regulates this dealer or the city attorney's office. If these routes don't help, plan on immediately suing him for return of the car or the payoff or both at this point and repair to your credit report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption