If I slipped on some water ina grocery storeand told a manager about it butthey did not take a report,what should I do?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I slipped on some water ina grocery storeand told a manager about it butthey did not take a report,what should I do?

Now i’m feeling pain down my right leg.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

IF the store was at fault in having the water there, then you might be entitled to compensation for medical costs, lost wages, or pain and suffering for serious injuries (more than a bruise, even a bad one).

The first question is fault. There would likely be fault if a store employee spilled water; or if the store knew for a fact there was a puddle but did not mop it up; or if they *should* have known, because it was there for so long. On the other hand, if a customers spilled the water shortly before you slipped on it, the store would likely not be a fault--they did nothing wrong in that instance.

The second question is whether its worth suing. If you don't incur medical costs or lost wages, then simply collecting for some pain in your leg is likely effectively impossible--little evidence of injury, not enough to make it worthwhile, etc. You might first go to a doctor, to see what you are dealing with--is there something here that will lay you up for a time, or require medical care? If so, then you can consider whether it might be worth taking legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption