What to do if I recently caught a petty theft charge for stealing $15 worth of merchandise and it is my first charge?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I recently caught a petty theft charge for stealing $15 worth of merchandise and it is my first charge?

I had my court date today and plead guilty. They gave me a sentencing date does that mean I will serve jail time? I did not want to try to cop out because I was caught and guilty but I feel like i might have made a mistake. I just wanted to be honest. My sentencing date is only a couple days before Christmas and I’m terrified that I’ll be in jail for it. I have a daughter and am a college student. I know what I did was wrong but I hardly think that I deserve jail time for it. Fines – yes; community service – yes but incarcerated – no. So what I’m asking is, would there be anything that I can do to avoid that?

Asked on November 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should retain counse.  A conviction can have a significant and long lasting impact on your receord.   I have had significant suxccess in representing clients with simliar circumstances. 


For a consultation call 612-240-8005

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption