What to do if my home was raided due to false accusations made by someone on a police warrant?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my home was raided due to false accusations made by someone on a police warrant?

They did not find anything incriminating but removed personal items from my home. It now has been about 90 days since the whole ordeal. I was not charged with anything and have heard nothing else from them. I would like my stuff back and need to know what are the procedures?

Asked on November 19, 2013 under Criminal Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can make a formal request to the prosecutor's office to see if charges are going to be filed. I would suggest that you obtain counsel for this and consider not only using the attorney's services to obtain your personal items but also to possibly sue the individual who made such false statements. Keep in mind a warrant is issued with probable cause. So ensure there isn't a possibility of other evidence that led to the warrant before you activate this plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption