What are my rights if I recently asked my employer to accommodate a part-time schedule due to medical reasons and with a doctor’s note?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I recently asked my employer to accommodate a part-time schedule due to medical reasons and with a doctor’s note?

I requested to work 7:30 am – 2:30 pm (their hours of operation are 7 am – 6 pm). They said they could not accommodate that but they could let me work 8:45 am – 3:15 pm so I agreed, even though that was not ideal for my medical situation. Now they are saying my part-time position isn’t working out for them and that if I need to stay part-time I will be removed from my position and put in a different one, however that position is one that I wouldn’t be happy doing and is a serious step down from my current one. It is not what I was hired for or accepted. They said I could take this position part-time or quit. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on November 8, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, letting full time employees work part time, or otherwise work hours or shifts other than the one the employer wants them to work, is not a reasonable accommodation the employer is required to make. If you can't work the hours the employer wants, they can terminate you--or demote or tranafer you, and you'd have to accept the change or be terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption