What can be done about a general manager of a restaurant who hollers, swears, threatens, intimidates and is cruel and harasses employees?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about a general manager of a restaurant who hollers, swears, threatens, intimidates and is cruel and harasses employees?

He threatens a weeks suspension for not informing customers of daily specials and terminated an employee for no reason in the presence of the staff. Most employees are female. Is there legal info/government regulations that can be presented to him. How can I make him aware of the legal ramifications?

Asked on November 8, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

An employer IS allowed to yell at employees, intimidate them, suspend them for forgetting to do something, or fire them "for no reason" unless the reason he does this as part of illegal discrimination, such as illegal gender-based discrimination. That does not mean he can't yell at, suspend, etc. women--he just can't do it because they are women; i.e. he can't treat women differently than men. But if he is a jerk and a tyrant to all employees, male and female, and/or only yells at or takes action against employees who violate a rule (like about daily specials), that is unfair and bad management, but legal. The law allows employers to be awful.
If you feel that he is yelling at the women because they are women, then the female employees should contact the federal EEOC or your state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption