What to do if I quit my job due to harassment and had nearly 3 weeks of vacation saved up?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I quit my job due to harassment and had nearly 3 weeks of vacation saved up?

I had been told my vacation pay would be pro rated but they don’t seem to want to pay it out. How do I wrestle that money away from the corporate bullies?

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Under Il law, whenever an employee resigns or is terminated without having taken all earned vacation time, an employer must pay the monetary equivalent of all of that earned but unused time as part of their final compensation at their final rate of pay. If an employer fails to do so, then in that event the employee can either sue their employer for any money due them and/or file a wage claim with the state department of labor. They can also consult with directly with a local employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption