Can my employer stop paying my insurance premiums? I work part time 30 hrs

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer stop paying my insurance premiums? I work part time 30 hrs

Due to health related issues and not having an auto for a while I did not keep the 30 hr p/t required for insurance.
So now they have stopped paying my insurance prems. I also paid my portion. Is this legal? What happened to the COBRA law? Thanks

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

COBRA applies to when you leave employment, and lets *you*, the employee, pay the full cost (employer and employee portions) of the insurance to keep your insurance. But if you do not work enough to be eligible for your employer to provide or pay for your insurance, they are allowed to discontinue doing so; they do not have to pay, etc. for  employees who do not meet the eligibility standards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption