If I’m the paternal aunt in the process of ICPC, should I get a lawyer if the caseworker doesn’t want to move the child out of state for the fostering?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m the paternal aunt in the process of ICPC, should I get a lawyer if the caseworker doesn’t want to move the child out of state for the fostering?

Should the relative have the #1 priority of taking in the family member while the biological mother is trying to do her treatments to get better. Being the aunt I’m willing to travel in for all court proceedings and visits with the parents. The grandparents living in town also helping with the support of lodging myself and child. The caseworker is leaning towards keeping the child locally. With this said, the foster parents then get more of a chance to adopt this child out when parental rights are terminated. I need help on what the law might help the relatives wanting to be involved.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you as the aunt in assisting in the situation that you are writing about. Under the court system, the courts rely on case worker evaluations as to what is in the minor child's best interests as in the matter that you are writing about.

However, the courts take into consideration as to a willing relative who is not the parent of the minor child in providing a safe and healthy environment for the minor pending a physical condition of a parent that is being treated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption