If I’m mad and upset about being bullied at work and my health is suffering from the stress, can I also sue the bully personally?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m mad and upset about being bullied at work and my health is suffering from the stress, can I also sue the bully personally?

I’m pursuing complaints for unlawful harassment.

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have harassment and you have hostile working conditions. The issue is whether this person is shielded from liability in way and whether by suing this person, you run the risk of losing your job. In most states, employment is at will and you can be fired with or without notice and with or without cause. If this person is in a supervisory capacity, you need to go through the process of seeing if his or her supervisor is aware of your issues and has attempted to rectify the problem. If aware, and nothing has happened, then you need to consider suing the employer as well but do not make any moves until you speak with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption