Is a restaurant by law required to have highchairs?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a restaurant by law required to have highchairs?

I was in a restaurant and was not offered a high chair. Then halfway through my meal, the car seat that held my baby fell backwards out of the chair and she hit her head on the floor. The baby is alright but I would like to know if anything legally that can be done.

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Personal Injury, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A restaurant is not required to carry booster seats or high chairs. This is especially true in adults only restaurants (think pubs). If you placed the car seat on the chair and did not ask for a high chair, then the negligence would not be considered an act or inaction by the restaurant. You assumed the risk as the caretaker of the minor to place the car seat on the chair. Keep in mind, even car seats have the directions that actually indicate the car seats should not be placed on tables or high places when holding the the restaurant would have a pretty good defense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption