If I’m currently holding both US and Japanese passports and want to come back to the US, will the Japanese government look for me after 3 months?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m currently holding both US and Japanese passports and want to come back to the US, will the Japanese government look for me after 3 months?

I want to get past immigration without a problem. I entered Japan with a Japanese passport and left America with my US passport. By law I’m only supposed to have one or the other after 21. However, many people like me posses both. My goal is to get back home to the US without a problem.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Immigration Law, Arizona


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There should not be any issues.  Dual citizens often travel internationally exactly as you describe, and it is not a problem.  The US treats you as a US citizen and does not care about your other country of citizenship.  You enter the US with the US passport, as a US citizen.  I cannot speak for the Japanese government but why would they be looking for you? If you are a citizen of Japan, in addition to being a citizen of the US, as long as you comply with whatever conditions there are for Japanese citizens, there should not be any problems.  If you have any problems with the law in Japan, in that case, they may be looking for you but you have not provided enough information to determine if that is what your situation involves.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption