Can I sue a resident of Florida but I live in Maryland?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a resident of Florida but I live in Maryland?

My uncle has power of attorney over my
grandmother and has completely taken
over everything. This was done slowly
and deliberately to exclude my now
deceased father and uncle,my father’s
other brother and their families.

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can, but if your grandmother a and uncle live in the other state, you would have to sue in that state's court: your state does not have any interest in what is happening in another state, or any power over people living in another state who do not transact business in a regular way in it. This will obviously increase the cost and complexity of taking legal action. Consult with an elder law attorney in the other state--you should be able to do so over the phone--to see what your options are, the cost, likelihood of success, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption