If I injured myself at a business and as a result need to go to the dentist, can I get the business to pay for this?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I injured myself at a business and as a result need to go to the dentist, can I get the business to pay for this?

I tripped on an unmarked stair/ramp while a customer. I chipped a tooth (slightly) and ripped a chunk out of my gum. I went to the doctor and am on antibiotics. I don’t want to sue the business, but I want them to pay for my medical expenses. I need to have a dentist check out my injury but have no dental insurance.

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Personal Injury, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can ask for compensation, but if the business won't pay voluntarily, the only way to make them pay would be to sue them.

To sue them and win, you'd have to show that they were at fault in some way. Fault in a case like this generally depends on negligence, or unreasonable carelessness. You would need to be able to show that it was somehow unreasonably careless to have not marked the stair/ramp, or that the stair/ramp was unreasonably dangerous in some other way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption