If my future husband has to pay his ex wife a lump sum of money can she go after the new wife

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my future husband has to pay his ex wife a lump sum of money can she go after the new wife

so my fianc was married for a year and got a divorce in the state of iowa and he had to pay her 8,000 for putting money down on a car. He is currently just started working. we are schedule to get married in November but I just wanna make sure when we get married she cant go after me for his debt.

Asked on August 29, 2019 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First, congratulations on your pending marriage. 
Second, you don't need to worry about being personally liable: when you marry someone, you do not take on his pre-marriage debts. Those remain his debts alone, not yours.
Of course, to any extent this money may provide support for the two of you, if she sues him and/or otherwise gets the money from him, that will impact you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption