What are my rights if I have been falsely accused of saying things at work that I did not say?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I have been falsely accused of saying things at work that I did not say?

A supervisor was reprimanded a few weeks ago for the way she was treating employees. She has retaliated by filing false claims against me. This was written-up and put in my employee file. The claims are all lies. Do I have any legal rights to fight this?

Asked on December 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will. An employee at will has very few rights in or to employment, so you can't necessarily get these remarks deleted, or prevent your employer from taking some action against you for them.

However, if what the supervisor said was a false factual claim or statement about you--i.e. it was something provably untrue--then you might be able to sue her for defamation, if you suffer any negative impact or consequence. It would only be worth considering this if you are demoted, lose a bonus, are fired or suspended, have a pay cut, etc. due, at least in part, to her remarks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption