What to do if I have a 6-year old corporate credit debt and the debt was sold to a collection agency that is now coming after me?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a 6-year old corporate credit debt and the debt was sold to a collection agency that is now coming after me?

My business went under as did the bank I borrowed from. Is there a statute of limitations on their ability to collect? If not, or if it hasn’t yet been reached, can I negotiate the debt down to a fraction of what I owe?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations in California for collection of a debt is 4 years.  But that does not mean that the debt collector will not continue to try and collect even if it is past the statute.  The issue is computing when the statute began to run - date of last payment is most likely it - and if the law in your state allows for a tolling at any point.  In any event, and besides the fact that the statute is most likely over - was the business a corporation or other entity that would protect you personally?  Did the business file bankruptcy? All these things will help.  And I am sure that given these facts you can negotiatie the matter if you so choose.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption