What to do if I have a registered certified tradename being used without my permission?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a registered certified tradename being used without my permission?

What is the minimum/maximum amount of money I can charge for its use?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can send the infringer (the one infringing on, or violating, your trademark) what is known as a "cease and desist" letter, demanding that they stop doing so. The letter should provide proof of the fact that the trademark is registered. You can also in your letter offer to allow them to license the trademark from you. If they won't stop using it and won't pay you what you consider a fair licensing fee, you can then sue them, seeking both monetary damages and an order barring them from violating your trademark.

There are no minimums or maximums: the amount of potential damages, if you  sue and win, will be based on the circumstances. The larger, better established, and more lucrative your business, the more valuable your trademark, and the more you could potentially recover. For example, Domino's Pizza can recover much more in damages for trademark infringement than our local, one location "Mr. Dino's Pizzeria," even though Mr. Dino's has it all them in terms of quality, at least in my opinion.

In terms of what you could negotiate as a license fee--you can ask for whatever you want. They'll pay as little as they can, bearing in mind the value of using the mark. Presumably, if you're both motivated and flexible, you'll meet in the middle--basically, you can get whatever  you can get them to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption