Can we put a lien on someone’s personal property if we have not been paid for services completed?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we put a lien on someone’s personal property if we have not been paid for services completed?

It has been 5 months since we did the work. Numerous phone calls and e-mails were sent. Only gives excuses or does not answer at all.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a licensed contractor you possibly could have pre-liened the work of improvement per statute. However, if you have not pre-liened the property, you most likely will be barred from liening the work of improvement now.

You can bring a legal action for monies owed possibly in small claims court. Before filing a legal action, I would write the property owner a letter requesting monthly installment payments of so much and see what happens. If the due date comes and goes, your option is to file a lawsuit for moneys owed. You could consult with an attorney experienced in construction matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption