I had a $80,000 collector car transported arrived with 20k worth of damage

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I had a $80,000 collector car transported arrived with 20k worth of damage

I purchased a vehicle valued at $80,000 from a vehicle restoration business in TX that was damaged likely during an attempt to steal it. It was shipped to me in CA by a transport company based in CO. I have full pictures of the condition of the vehicle when it was loaded onto a car carrier in TX, compared to the condition upon arrival in CA. Shipping company has admitted liability, but insists on using their insurance company, who is refusing to pay me damages I have no relationship with the insurance company. As such, I anticipate my next step is civil litigation against the transport company. As they operate in CA and delivered the car to CA, may I file in my home state or must I file in CO since they are based there?

Asked on August 20, 2019 under Insurance Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance company, your only recourse is to sue the transport company for negligence for the damage to the car.
Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable transport company would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption