Is there an anyway to have a paralegal draft a lawsuit against an insurer to allow the insured to represent themselves pro per?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there an anyway to have a paralegal draft a lawsuit against an insurer to allow the insured to represent themselves pro per?

I have indisputable evidence of multiple occurrences of bad faith by my homeowner’s insurance carrier and I would like to file a lawsuit using a paralegal to draft the documents. Can I pay a paralegal to draft the initial lawsuit naming myself as my own representation in the lawsuit? I can’t seem to find a bad faith attorney to take my case because its a non-peril incident that triggered the coverage. My insurance carrier is clearly

violating several laws and I feel that if I can simply initiate the lawsuit, they will certainly offer a more realistic settlement to reduce their risk exposure.

Asked on August 17, 2019 under Insurance Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can have a paralegal write the summons and complaint.  The complaint is the lawsuit.  You can pay the paralegal. You can be listed as In Pro Per, which means you are representing yourself.
Since you haven't been able to find an attorney to take your case, having a paralegal prepare the summons and complaint is a reasonable alternative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption