If I got a misdemeanor ticket for having/consuming an open alcohol container, what are the possible outcomes?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a misdemeanor ticket for having/consuming an open alcohol container, what are the possible outcomes?

I was out at a bachelor party in royal oak and stupidly carried an open beer out in my pants pocket walking to the party bus. An officer saw me and issued me a misdemeanor ticket. I am worried about the fine/possible jail time in addition to the possibility of my permanent record being tarnished. And I am a recently graduated teacher is my career over?

Asked on October 9, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you have a teacher's credential hanging in the balance of a misdemeanor charge of having an open container in public, it is best that you retain a criminal defense lawyer to represent you in an attempt to possibly have the charge reduced and the matter resolved so as to not have a negative impact upon your teaching career.

Most likely if you plead out to the crime you will receive no jail time, but will receive a fine of roughly $700.00 to $950.00. The desire from your part is to have the misdemeanor charge reduced to an infraction so as to have no negative impact upon your teaching career.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption