If ibroke my lease but provided acceptable tenants and there is no damage, can I still get my deposit back in Colorado

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If ibroke my lease but provided acceptable tenants and there is no damage, can I still get my deposit back in Colorado

Not one day of rent is being lost.

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you broke your lease but promptly obtained replacement tenants at the same monthly rent or more for the balance of your term and they continue to be current on the rental and there is no damage to your former rental, you should be entitled to get your full security deposit back from your landlord in a timely fashion.

Additionally, the former landlord should not have a basis for bringing a lawsuit against you for the balance of the rent on your agreed upon term. I would send a note to the landlord seeking the return of your full security deposit with a document to be dated, signed and returned to you that you have no further obligation under the lease. Keep a copy of the documents for future need and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption