If I am 1 of 2 members of an LLC, what can I do if the other member causes us to lose our lease due to inappropriate behavior?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am 1 of 2 members of an LLC, what can I do if the other member causes us to lose our lease due to inappropriate behavior?

The other LLC member was intoxicated while working our store and had an altercation with the landlord. Drunkenness is specified in the lease for banning from the common areas of the properties. What can I do to sever ties with the member to reinstate the lease as the landlord is willing now to only work with me.

Asked on August 18, 2012 under Business Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the situation with respect to the lease issue that you have written about is to sit down and have a face to face discussion with the member of the limited liability company as to his inappropriate behavior and see what can be done to rectify it. Perhaps attending AA classes. Based upon the discussion, you then meet with the landlord to see what can be done to repair the "bridge" that has been damaged.

Possibly you may need to get a business attorney involved to assist in the matter you have written about. Possibly some restrictions of the one limited liability member to the back room of the business where he or she does not have to deal with people.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption