If I’m an international student under OPT status on an F-1 visa and my OPT period will expire in 4 months, what is the procedure to change my status from F-1 to F-2?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m an international student under OPT status on an F-1 visa and my OPT period will expire in 4 months, what is the procedure to change my status from F-1 to F-2?

My wife is on F-1 and is currently doing her internship. Her OPT period will begin in November 2012 and she will have one complete year to keep working under her OPT status. We both live together and can show the marriage certificate. What should be the procedure I will require to follow in order to change my visa from F-1 to F-2?

Asked on September 18, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. It is advisable that you have attorney assistance in the preparation of seeking a change of status. Do contact a private attorney who will be happy to help you. Immigration and Visa law is federal law, so any knowledgeable licensed attorney may assist you. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily




SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can file the form I-539 for the change of status to F-2 from F-1 by submitting all the supporting documentation showing your eligibility for the F-2 status, the filing fees and then you should be fine.  It is something you should be able to do on your own although if you require assistance, an immigration attorney can help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption