If I’m an 18 year old male andI have just been charged with2 counts of marijuana paraphernalia, what kind of fine am I looking at?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m an 18 year old male andI have just been charged with2 counts of marijuana paraphernalia, what kind of fine am I looking at?

I live in IL.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under law, drug paraphernalia regarding marijuana is considered any equipment, product or material that is principally intended or designed for use in manufacturing, ingesting, or inhaling it into the human body. Even though the statute on paraphernalia is extensive, it does not include every object or item that may be used for marijuana use. This means that nearly anything can be considered paraphernalia if it can be proven that it was used or intended for use relating to marijuana consumption, etc.

While probation may be an option, especially if you are a first-time offender, anyone convicted of unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia may be facing up to 1 year in jail and a fine of $2,500. Possession of a marijuana pipe and a heroin syringe are treated the same, both Class A misdemeanors.

At this point you should consider speaking with a criminal law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption