If a judge ordered $1,200 for 10 years of retroactive child support, can this amount be contested for a higher value?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a judge ordered $1,200 for 10 years of retroactive child support, can this amount be contested for a higher value?

I filed for child support when my daughter was born. The non-custodial parent was not taken to court until my daughter was ten years old because the Attorney General’s Office said they could not locate him. The non-custodial parent had been in custody of the state for 4 felonies within that 10 year timeframe. Once retroactive child support was ordered, it was only valued at $1,200 for 10 years, the equivalent of $10 a month. Is there a way to get this amount re-evaluated?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney immediately to look into appealing the order/judgment in that $10.00 a month child support payment by your daughter's father seems well below county guidelines on the subject unless the father was not working during this time period.

If you cannot afford a family law attorney, I suggest that you go down to your local legal aid clinic for assistance concerning your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption