If I was cited for possession of a controlled substance, how can I get this expunged from my criminal history record?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was cited for possession of a controlled substance, how can I get this expunged from my criminal history record?

I was in a car that was pulled over for speeding. We were cited for possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia because the officer was aware of the smell of marijuana coming from the car. I was wondering as to what I could possibly do to have it expunged because I am worried about the impact of the crime. It would lead to my ineligibility for certain educational opportunities (financial aid and scholarships) and inability to work in professional field I am already working towards. I was exceptionally cooperative with the law enforcement. My court date is in 2 weeks. I am an 18 year-old college student and cannot afford a lawyer.

Asked on September 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

More information is needed here.  You say that your court date is in two weeks.  That means that a criminal case is pending right?  Expungement is not available if there is a case pending.  Were you arrested and is this an arraignment?  Were you just ticketed?  If you can not afford an attorney request legal aid be appointed NOW. If the charge can be reduced and if you can enter a conditional or deferment program then you need some one to help with that and you need to comply with the program to have the matter dismissed.  Then you need to have the arrest record wiped out. Here is a link on expungement fyi. Learn from this mistake.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption