What options do I have to deal with a general contractor who did not deliver products and services that were promised and paid for?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What options do I have to deal with a general contractor who did not deliver products and services that were promised and paid for?

We had this contractor replace flooring lost due to a dishwasher leak. He provided defective flooring but refuses to replace it, although we had previously offered to do so. He “just doesn’t want to” do it any more.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Utah


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor for breach of contract for the defective floor he provided and his refusal to replace it.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for breach of contract) would be either the contract price you paid or the cost of completion of replacing the floor if you hire another contractor to do the work.  If you hire another contractor to complete the work, you will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by hiring someone whose fees are comparable to other contractors in the area.  If you were to select the most expensive contractor you could find to complete the project, you would have failed to mitigate damages and your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption