If I’m about to self-publish my first of 2 books, since I am both the author and publisher of record should I set up an LLC?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m about to self-publish my first of 2 books, since I am both the author and publisher of record should I set up an LLC?

Or should I set up another legal entity to protect me from inadvertent but possible copyright infringement suits?

Asked on September 12, 2014 under Business Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Definitely set up either an LLC or corporation to provide protection from business-related debts or liablility. There is, in terms of protection, little to choose between an LLC or corporation, and for tax purposes, since you'd most likely want a "pass through" entity (though confirm this with a tax advisor), you could do either an LLC taxed as a partnership or an S-corporation. The above said, most small businesses (self  included) find an LLC simpler and more straightforward, with less paperwork formalities and requirements, than a corporation, so that's probably the better way to go.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption