If I’m a truck driver and was involved in an accident but I was not given ticket, can I later be sued over the accident?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m a truck driver and was involved in an accident but I was not given ticket, can I later be sued over the accident?

This happened over a year ago. There was no ticket given to anyone. The people involved just sent me a letter from a lawyer saying they want to sue me for injuries. Can they do that?

Asked on March 18, 2014 under Personal Injury, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Although you did not receive a ticket, if you were at fault in the accident, you are still liable for the accident and the injuries of the other party.

The other party is going to file a lawsuit because the case was not settled with your insurance carrier.  If the case had been settled with your insurance carrier, no lawsuit would be filed.

When you are served with the summons and complaint (lawsuit), refer the matter to your insurance carrier.  Your insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you and will handle the case for you.

If you were driving a company owned truck, the company (your employer) is liable for the accident.  Refer the matter to your employer and their insurance carrier's attorney will handle it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption