I am a writer an have been for over 10yrs. People keep taking my work and making money off of me what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am a writer an have been for over 10yrs. People keep taking my work and making money off of me what can I do?

Everything I write is out on the streets before I put it out there and I hear stories of my life on the radio all the time. I’m tired of people making money off of me. I’m not getting paid for this and something has to be done. I can’t keep asking people to stop because it doesn’t work. I need to know what I can do.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Business Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to do two things:  first, you need to get a new computer, and have someone set it up so that you have a secure connection to the internet, because it sounds like someone has hacked into the system you have now.  Second, if you can prove people are using your original work without your permission, you need to talk to an attorney who specializes in copyright law, sometimes advertised as "intellectual property," which also includes trademark and similar fields.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption