What are our rights if a doctor operated on my wife’s eyelids recently and completely messed them up?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if a doctor operated on my wife’s eyelids recently and completely messed them up?

After the surgery, there are problems with both eyes. Her right eye can’t close completely which has caused severe dryness of the eye. In addition, the right eye now appears much smaller than the left eye. On the left eye and there is a popping sound when the eyelid is raised. The asymmetry of the creases is more pronounced. I contacted 2 local lawyers but they didn’t seem to be interested. How do we go about suing the doctor on our own? Are we limited to small claims court?

Asked on August 30, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are not limited to small claims court; it's just that small claims court is much easier for people appearing pro se (as their own lawyers)--some rules are relaxed, and the procedures are simplified and streamlined. You can, however, represent yourself in any court, though if your wife is the injured person, she, not you, would have to do the lawyering (unless you are an attorney, you cannot represent any other person, even a spouse).

Malpractice cases are complicated and can be expensive: you need, among other things, a medical expert on your side, and they do not work cheap. However, they can be big cases, because you can potentially recover all medical costs caused by the malpractice (such as the cost to correct the problem) and possibly pain and suffering for life impairment or disfigurement.

Probably the best thing to do first is to consult with other surgeons about correcting the damage to your wife's eyes: if you get a quote for the cost of the surgery, that will give you a firmer number of what the damages (possible compensation) may be. You can, for purposes of discussion, "rough in" a possible pain and suffering award by doubling the medical costs--that's very rough, and the real award could be larger or smaller, but that gives you something to work with.

Armed with that information and maybe something in writing about what it will take to correct this from a surgeon, you'll be in a better place to discuss the matter with attorneys. If you still can't get any interested, then consider whether you're willing to bring the case yourself--but figure you'll spend $2,000 - $4,000 on the medical expert.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption