What to do ifmy landlord is harrassing me?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifmy landlord is harrassing me?

I am a tenant and my landlord is harassing me. Today, my brother observed her as she placed a bag full of cat litter and dog feces between my screen and front door. I would like to know what my legal actions should be taken. I have not yet confronted her but I am very upset. We clean up after my dog, so I am not sure what she is getting at leaving this, but obviously this is not proper landlord/tenant behavior?? Any information you can provide would be helpful

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord is harassing you by doing certain socially unacceptable things such as written, you need to retain an attorney to file a petition for a restraining order against her to preclude the conduct that she has been doing with respect to you.

You will need to get a declaration signed by your brother in support of the declaration stating under the penalty of perjury what he saw your landlord do with respect to the bag of cat litter and dog feces. She will be served with the petition and the court will have a hearing date and make a ruling on the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption