If I paid $1000 for a security deposit for a home I wanted to rent and decided to move elsewhere, do I forfeit my money?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I paid $1000 for a security deposit for a home I wanted to rent and decided to move elsewhere, do I forfeit my money?

I was only give back $650 and told I wasn’t entitled to the remaining $350 because I moved elsewhere. I have receipts for $250 of the $350 I feel is owed to me, but I never signed a lease. The only paperwork I personally signed was an application with a fee of $35 which is non-refundable.

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you placed a $1,000 deposit for a home that you never signed a lease for where the application stated that there was a non-refundable fee of $35.00, you are entitled to the return of the balance of your deposit since you now do not want the unit.

You have not forfeited your $965.00. I would write the person who holds the money demanding its return by a certain date. If not returned by then, your option is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption