If I am a seller and sold a car on-line however I do not like the price negotiated, can I void the contract?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a seller and sold a car on-line however I do not like the price negotiated, can I void the contract?

Can I give back the deposit; I signed the buyers bill of sale

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have already agreed to the transaction, no, yoiu can't void the contract; not liking the price is not a ground to rescind or void a contract. Signing the bill of sale and accepting the deposit are both very strong evidence that you have agreed to the transaction, which means there is an enforceable agreement or contract.

If the buyer somehow misrepresented to you, or defrauded you, that would be different--if, for example, you gave him a price break because he claimed to be a disabled vet with 6 kids and no job and you later discoverd that was not true; or if his check for the deposit bounces--that would give you grounds to void the transaction. But the buyer has played it straight with you, you have to go through with the sale once it's been agreed to, and from what you have written, it sounds as if you have agreed to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption