What can I do legally if I am a couple of weeks behind on my car payment and my auto finance lender gave my information to a third party?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do legally if I am a couple of weeks behind on my car payment and my auto finance lender gave my information to a third party?

My auto finance company called up my workplace asking for me but could pronounce my name. The call got routed to my General Manager with the same first name and they informed him that he owed money on his car (funny part is he owns the same type of car but his is pai.). My GM told them to get their facts straight and then they finally realize that they are not talking with me. He then gave me the message but it is a very uncomfortable situation now.

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. It seems that you are asking whether you may be entitled to some financial compensation such as actual damages, punitive damages, attorneys' fees and other costs award, possible treble (triple) damages, and other action steps aimed at 'righting the wrong'.  I recommend that you confer privately with an attorney of your choosing regarding this matter and with no delay (because in the event you have certain claims, you will lose your rights if you do not take appropriate action within rigid time constraints). I myself would discuss the occurrence in great detail prior to providing you with legal counsel and advice.  I recommend you phone several attorneys because you should feel a sense of great trust and confidence in the attorney you choose to assist you. All the best.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption