Is your employer responsible for your car if loss occur while working.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is your employer responsible for your car if loss occur while working.

My personal car was totaled because of
flooding that occured in the area while I was
working/on the clock. Is the company I work
for responsible in any way?

Asked on August 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Why would your employer be responsible? Did they cause the flood? Or if not, did they agree in writing to reimburse you for any car damage? Liability for property (e.g. vehicle damage) is based on either fault or on contractually agreeing to be responsible. If they did not cause the flood and did not agree to pay for the car, they are not responsible. This is why people should have insurance that pays when your vehicle is damaged but no other person is at fault--to protect you in situations like this one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption