How to lien a property for payment on work completed

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to lien a property for payment on work completed

Upon, a verbal agreement. A tile floor was completed on time and to the satisfaction of the owner at five dollars per square foot times 200 sq. ft. (labor). However, the agreement was between a subcontractor and the participant. What are my rights to liens and to whoes or what property does this apply?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Business Law, Colorado


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure who the parties are based on your facts, but i wil try to answer your question as i think i know what your asking.  At the end of the day, most states permit a mechanic's lien to be filed on the property that labor and/or materials were supplied to for improvements where more that $10 is supplied.  I am not sure who the "participant" is:  is that someone the subcontractor hired? Is there a general contractor that is building the house? 

I would suggest going to see a lawyer in the town that  the house is located.  You could either file a mechanic's lien on the property where you provided the services or file a small claims action agaisnt the party you have the oral agreement with.  The mechanic's lien will certainly get everyone's attention the fastest. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption