after divorced, he used joint acct credit card and made default. the subject default affecting my crdit rating. it is also my responsibilty?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

after divorced, he used joint acct credit card and made default. the subject default affecting my crdit rating. it is also my responsibilty?

we divorced last year. The subject account was inactive and no transaction at all. When we signed divorce doc, we disclosed there is no community debt. since Jan 2009, he found out inactive joint acct credit card and call to card company, and changed address and requested new card. he used all line. he didn’t make any payment. I just found out my credit rating has been changed last Sat. It was joint acct . therefore, my credit rating affecting due to ex-spouse. Since this transaction was happen we signed divorced doc, and I do not even know it happen. can i remove my ownership from this?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Business Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you divorced, why did you keep the joint account credit card? Why didn't you cancel it? Were you the primary, the secondary or were you both the primary?

If you were the primary, you should have had his card cancelled as secondary. If you were both primary, why didn't you take yourself off of it? What did the divorce decree say?

Can you prove positively he made all the purchases and defaulted? If so, you better get a lawyer to sue him and help repair your credit -- i.e. you need to get a judgment against your ex husband and then show that judgment to any credit agency who lowered your score.

You need to get a good lawyer.  Try and then check his or her disciplinary record at under attorney search.  If you had a divorce attorney, immediately contact your divorce attorney -- your ex may be in contempt of court for this if not possibly committing a criminal act.

If you cannot afford one, try legal aid. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption