How to avoid jail with an arrest warrant in place?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to avoid jail with an arrest warrant in place?

I was charged with harassment of
communications. The victim wants
to drop charges, because I’ve
gotten the help I need. How do I
get a court date set up and avoid
jail time? We have talked to the
magistrate she said I need to turn
myself in.

Asked on April 25, 2017 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, whether or not to drop charges is not up to the victim; it is a decision for the prosecutor. If there is enough evidence to convict, the case may move forward without the cooperation of the victim. That having been said, since the victim is now supporting you and you have gotten help (I assume this means formal counseling of some sort, etc.), then the state may try to work things out with you short of jail time. That having been said, you will need to appear in court as per the magistrate's order. What you should do now is to consult directly with a local criminal law attorney who can best advise you further once they have reveiwed all of the details of the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption