What to do if a tenant refuses tovacate after receiving a 3-day notice?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a tenant refuses tovacate after receiving a 3-day notice?

My tenant owes me $1500 in past rent and late fees. In an attempt to get her to pay I turned her A/C off for 24 hours. That didn’t work so I turned it back on. I sent her a 3-day notice to pay or quit but she insists that the eviction process is going to take at least 2 weeks and by then she’ll have enough money to move out anyway. In my small claims court can I add these 2 weeks in to the amount of rent she owes me since I won’t be able to move anyone else in? She’s already told me she’s not doing anything in those 3 days. Also, by her not having air conditioning for a day, do I owe?

Asked on July 26, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok so never, ever turn a tenant's air conditioning off again.  Courts do not like landlords that "self help."  She can ask for an abatement, yes, for time that it was not on.  Now.  If she refuses to vacated or pay after the 3 days are up then you need to file an eviction proceeding.  I would make sure that the notice was properly served before you start the eviction because if it was not you may be screwed.  Now, is she on a written lease or an oral month to month tenancy?  Either way she owes for the entire month that she will be leaving in once the first has passed, but if she has a written lease she could be liable for so much more. How the paperwork is prepard and served is crucial so I would really speak with a landlord tenant attorney.  Once you obtain a judgement it is good for many years.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption