How should I go about a wrongful termination settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should I go about a wrongful termination settlement?

I was recently terminated from my job as a direct cause of my disabilities. This was expressly stated to me by my manager from the owner of the business. My heart condition was made known to the company before I started, and I do not recall signing anything in my application that stated I am with or without disability whatsoever. I would like to reach a settlement before suing but will sue if one cannot be reached. However, I do not know how to go about this. Should I meet the owner in person and discuss it? Should I prepare a document now?

Thank you

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are not particularly handy, would you do complex electrical work on your house yourself--or call an electrician? Would you stitch up your own wound--or go to a doctor or clinic? If you feel you have a viable claim--and based on what you write, you may well have one--don't try to handle it yourself: you may settle for less tha you are entitled to, or say or write something that compromises or damages your claim. Let the experts handle it.
First try contacting the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC: enforcing the anti-discrimination laws is what they do. They can investigate and, if they feel there is something to your claim, help you get compensation. The EEOC's help is free.
If they can't or won't help for some reason, then consult with a private employment law attorney, who can negotiate for you or file a lawsuit if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption