Is my employer allowed to dock my pay for a cash register shortage?

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my employer allowed to dock my pay for a cash register shortage?

I live in Massachusetts and work at a Wendy’s restaurant. I make minimum wage in
Massachusetts 11.00 an hour is this legal?

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a union agreement or employment contract to the contrary, your employer can hold you liable for a cash drawer shortage. However, it would need your written consent in order to make a deduction from your paycheck. So you owe the money but your check cannot be docked for it. Further, if you fail to pay any sums owed, you can be terminated. In fact, in an "at will" employment relationhip, a worker can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption